How to treat LiPos Safely?

Lithium Polymer Batteries (LiPo) are one of the most popular means of powering remote control vehicles, due to their high energy density and falling costs. But with higher energy comes higher risks. If not treated properly they can be very dangerous, and can cause fires, sometimes with explosive energy. Also note they do not require an ignition source, as contact between the lithium and oxygen can start the violent reaction.

This is why we have prepared a list of important notes that will ensure you operate you LiPos safely without incident and prevent any of the above from happening.

We Recommend:

  • Always store/charge in a protected area AWAY from any combustible materials, this can prevent house fires in the case of a LiPo failure. For added safety a fire proof container should be used such as a Lipo safe bag.
  • Never charge a battery unattended overnight, serious fires have resulted from this.
  • If any of the following occur, cease use of the battery IMMEDIATELY, and carefully remove to a safe location to observe for a while. Once safe, dispose of the battery as per the manufacturer’s instructions. (If unsure call us)
    • The battery starts to swell (This is the most common symptom of a damaged and dangerous LiPo)
    • The battery sustains any kind of physical damage that could expose the inside of the battery, such as a cut or significant scratch.
    • The battery is bent
  • Always use chargers designed to charge LiPo batteries and ensure the charger can balance charge.
  • Never leave LiPos plugged into your models when not in use, as this can slowly drain the battery to dangerous levels.
  • Try not to leave LiPos fully charged or discharged for long periods of time, in this case they should be left at storage voltage (around 60-70% charge, or around 3.8V per cell).
  • Do not attempt to make your own battery packs from individual cells.
  • Do not leave LiPos in direct sunlight or in areas that can reach more than 50°C
  • Do not try and put out LiPo fires with water, a fire extinguisher or a bucket of sand should be used.
  • Children should not handle or charge LiPos without adult supervision

If you have any further questions, contact us and direct them to our R/C department